A Birthday goat, the boys, and weekend pictures

Photobucket

Recently it was Sammy's third Birthday! Hard to believe my sick little baby has turned into a big healthy three year old.

Photobucket

Of course he got special goodies to celebrate.

Photobucket

We got a fair bit of work done this weekend, in between naps of course. If you have small dogs, frequent naps are a must.

Photobucket

Sometimes it just gets too exhausting following me around all the time, and everyone needs to refuel.

Photobucket

This is one of the sweetest pictures I think I've taken of the boys, it just makes me smile. It's one that will get framed and go up in the house for my photo wall project.

Photobucket

Rollie is a growing kid, so he sleeps well in between his bursts (huge bursts) of energy.

Photobucket

Should we go back to work now?

Photobucket

It's terrible when you want to get up but the baby is sound asleep, so you can't move.

Photobucket

Kevin plowed a trail back to some ash trees that we can cut down (they are all dead)... we need to haul some more logs in to split up to replenish our wood supply. The snow is super heavy in the bush, so it took him a long time just to get a basic trail plowed for us to get back there. Even with his plowed trail the ATV got stuck and we had to winch it out.

Photobucket

It was a beautiful late afternoon out in the bush, the sky looked like someone was painting it. Winter sure has her own beauty to offer. 

Photobucket

None of our bucks have lost their antlers yet, it could be anytime now.... they have kept them into Feb before though. One of the bucks we saw a couple of times in the fall showed up on the weekend and he had dropped both of his antlers. Some of them loose them earlier than others (it's hormonal) and sometimes they drop them both at once, or one at a time. I'm hoping like every other year, when our big bucks shed their antlers, I'll be able to track them down so I can save them.

Photobucket

Max was really upset in the barnyard today and I couldn't figure out why, until finally I noticed what was driving him crazy... Snow Buntings! A pair of them were swooping it to pick up grain and then back out again. Max couldn't take it. Flying thieves!

Photobucket

I on the other hand, was really excited. They are so pretty... I love it when a flock of them flies into the yard in the winter, they are so lovely to watch flying. While I was trying to take pictures of them, one of my girl goats, Brina kept jumping on me repeatedly (she's going to be a year old soon and she was my bottle baby from last year, but it's amazing she still looks for milk every morning from me, I can't figure out why. She never does it to anyone else and she's been off the bottle since summer... she's convinced she'll get it outta me somehow), and then Rose came over and her and Dahlia (the Pygmy girls) were jumping and putting their hooves on my back and then they started to pull my pants down. That's when I gave up on my picture taking.

I swear I'm suing for harassment.

Photobucket

Once they got done harassing me, they decided it was snowing too much for their liking so instead of going in the huge run in shed we have, they went inside one of our old rabbit hutches that is just sitting in the yard... In the spring the ducks nest in there and lay eggs. It's hilarious that they like smaller places rather than big ones, they just feel safer. It's hard to believe two Pygmy goats fit inside one side of our rabbit hutch - so apparently you can fit one rabbit in there, or two goats.

Photobucket

Last night I knitted one of these mug cozies while we were watching a movie. The pattern I had was for one with buttons on the end where I used the yarn to tie bows, but I just thought this was cute. I'm going to try making one tonight with ribbons... and for a smaller mug. I think they are adorable and they do help keep your tea or coffee warmer. Plus they feel nice on the hands too.

I love knitting although I'm a total beginner. I'm not great at knitting and watching TV, mostly I can only listen to TV because if I don't focus on what I'm doing I make a mess, but it's meditative for me having to focus so much - I can't think about anything else while I'm knitting so I find - when I'm able to find time to do it (which isn't often) it's very therapeutic.

It warmed up a lot today and we had snow bordering on rain all day and the snow started turning to mush. Last check outside and the snow had turned heavier, so we'll see what we wake up to tomorrow.

Hope you all had a great weekend! 

Comments

Myra said…
Well I have been lurking for quite some time so I thought it was time to say hello. I really enjoy reading your blog and seeing the wonderful pictures of all your critters. :o) I don't know how you keep up with it all.
Mary Ann said…
Oh my gosh, the dog pictures are so wonderful! The snow! My gosh! I don't know how you get your chores done. I have never seen a snow bunting, they are beautiful birds.
Ellen in Oregon said…
Happy B Day to Sammy. He looks like he enjoyed the party festivities, Those Snow Buntings have beautiful coloring. Thanks for the pics you were able to get before everybody tackeled you. The mug cozy is charming as well as functional. It looks like your knitting is coming along great. Are you going to collect the antlers and make one of those humongous lighting fixtures or do you have something on a smaller scale planned for them? Take care & enjoy the naps with your 3 little heaters.
Suzan said…
You must work your pooches hard - they are always sacked out, snoozing! What a life!!
You must have a barn full of antlers!! Neat that you collect them. What do you do with them?
Primitive Stars said…
Morning....Happy Bday to sweet Sammy.....oh those furry faces are so adorable, could kiss those little black noses.....I would love to see the Buntings, not any here......So happy the Bucks made it through hunting season and you get to enjoy seeing them, I would love that......neat about the antlers, did not know that, I would collect the fallen antlers to.....Blessings Francine.
The JR said…
Those are really cute pics of the boys sleeping.

Funny that little birds bother Max.

goats....don't have any, but they sure sounds like they have lots of character

Can't knit, but can crochet....that is can if I had time!
Those pictures are just too much! Happy birthday to Sammy!

I love your mug cozy! So cute. I may have to pick up knitting one of these days.
Leigh said…
Your canine crew is a hoot. And the baby, precious! Happy Birthday to Sammy. Time flies, doesn't it?
jaz@octoberfarm said…
how did i miss this post? i have you on my sidebar but i just saw this now. i was getting really worried about you because i had not seen a post or heard back from my emails! glad it is just me and everything is fine! your box is on the way! the pups looks they are all getting along just fine?

Popular Posts