Dandelion jelly...

 photo 058blog-2_zps85c99c88.jpg

If you don't already know, is delicious. Trust me. 

But it takes a little effort to make. This is the probably the only time in my life I wished I had human children who I could force to pick dandelions for me. My children loving picking dandelions and would gladly help me, but they'd eat every single one!

 photo 003blog-7_zps539e656c.jpg

First you need to pick dandelions, but just the blossoms, not the stems. I picked about 8 cups. 10 would be better, but I'd say pick at least 7-8 cups.

 photo 011blog-6_zpsd3d6264f.jpg

Next remove the stem from the blossoms - just cut them off with scissors and save your petals. If you want to get crazy, you can pick all the green parts away from the yellow petals but it will take you probably 3 days and you'll loose your mind in the process. I find that they do not affect the jelly in a bitter way at all. Even if they did, you'll add plenty of sugar and never notice it anyway.

 photo 016blog-4_zpsaf5ecaee.jpg

Then wash your hands because they will be a sticky mess...

 photo 008blog-6_zpsdc9ee19d.jpg

Once the stems are removed...

 photo 019blog-5_zps1dd016c5.jpg

 pour 6 cups of boiling water over your reserved petals and let steep for a few hours. The longer the better. I usually let mine go for about 3 hours. You could do this overnight if you wanted, but it doesn't need to be that long. If you are in a hurry just wait until the water comes to room temperature.

 photo 036blog-7_zpsa6edd146.jpg

If you've never made dandelion jelly before, now is when you'll be surprised. The dandelion "tea" smells just like honey.

Strain your steeped petals by placing a jelly strainer or colander lined well with cheesecloth over a large bowl. Pour everything through and reserve only the clear liquid.

 photo 010blog-3_zpsf8eb8fb0.jpg

Now you are ready to make the jelly. 

For the jelly 

3 cups dandelion tea
4 cups sugar
1 package of powdered pectin
2 Tbsp lemon juice

Bring all ingredients to a boil for 2 minutes then ladle into sterilized canning jars.

 Process in your water bath canner for 10 minutes.. and voila!

 photo 055blog-1_zps6c08b4c0.jpg

It's so pretty but it's also so darned delicious. It's like honey jelly. It's actually quite addicting.

In other news... Jackson was a very happy boy today...

 photo 038blog-4_zpsa387caa5.jpg

He got out on some grass for the first time this spring! I managed to brush him a bit but there is enough hair on him right now for me to create two other miniature horses.

I managed to plant an absolute ton of seeds, pimentos, hot peppers, sweet peppers, Poblano peppers, cayenne peppers, multiple flowers, several herbs, summer squash, tomatoes... and I'll do more tomorrow.

Kevin got the garden rototilled and also got all our hoses hooked up to the garden and on the decks for my pots.

Now, I've gotta run... tonight is the height of the meteor shower thanks to Halley's comet, and I need to go outside with my star map in hand and watch :) 

Comments

Dreaming said…
I made... tried to make... dandelion jelly before. My neighbors probably thought I had lost my marbles as every trip I took to the barn was interrupted by my stooping to pick dandelions. We had an ample supply!
My first batch turned out to be dandelion syrup. But later, I got it down to a science and made jelly. I actually made so much of it... for a few years... that I don't particularly care for that honey smell any longer!
jaz@octoberfarm said…
did you see meteors? i had no idea you could make dandelion jelly! and i just went out and sprayed mine with salt and now they are all dead!
Lana said…
Wow! Thanks soooo much for sharing this! I am totally going to try it... We have dandelions pretty much everywhere haha.
The JR said…
How interesting. Since I was on a crusade to eliminate all weeds, I don't think I have enough to gather a cup of dandelions.

lol...I could go to the neighbor's yard and get theirs....hehehe....they would think I was crazy.
I have never tried dandelion jelly, but I want some! It sounds really delicious.
I've never heard of dandelion jelly. Looks amazing!
I've never made or tried dandelion jelly but I'm intrigued.... Just found your site and I absolutely adore it so I became a follower. :)
Anonymous said…
I've never heard of dandelion jelly. I wonder if you can make it with less sugar.

Popular Posts