Day after Thanksgiving


Happy day after Thanksgiving! It's continued to be a beautiful weekend here and again today in the 80s, sunny, bright and full of color. We really have lucked out with this gorgeous weather. We know it won't last, and brought our wood box to the house today. It holds a face cord of wood at a time, so we'll get it filled up soon and then keep filling it up until spring.

We enjoyed our Thanksgiving dinner yesterday, we had turkey which I brined in apple cider and roasted with herbs, homemade whole wheat flax and sesame dinner rolls, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and mashed turnip. We missed the cranberry sauce because I had convinced myself I had the fixings at home already, which I didn't. I never do that either, I'm always "better safe than sorry" but I guess this one time, I was sorry.

The dogs enjoyed a little taste of turkey and some turnip with their dinner...


For dessert, I made flan for the first time. This recipe was from cooking light magazine, sweet potato flan. It was easy to make and it was so good... I didn't miss the pie at all.


Sweet Potato and Buttered Rum Flan
adapted from cooking light magazine

1/2 tsp canola oil
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tbs water
1 cup mashed sweet potato
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tbs rum
2 tbs butter, melted
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp nutmeg
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups milk

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Coat an 8 inch metal cake pan with high sides with canola oil, tipping to fully coat. Combine granulated sugar and water in a small heavy saucepan over medium-high heat; cook for 5 minutes or until golden. Immediately pour into prepared pan, tipping quickly until caramelized sugar coats bottom of pan. Place sweet potato and next 7 ingredients (through eggs) in a blender; process until smooth. Add milk, process just until blended.

Pour mixture over caramel in pan. Place pan in a 13x9 inch glass dish or ceramic baking pan and fill with about 1 inch of water. bake at 325 degrees for one hour, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove pan from water, cool completely on a wire rack. Cover and chill for 8 hours or overnight. Invert flan onto a platter and cut into 8 wedges. Drizzle with maple syrup.

We've taken a few walks to enjoy the colors, Sunday we went for one with the dogs.

 part of our lane

our turtle pond

one of ponds

Douglas upset because he can't go swimming

the sun has really brought out the colors


We brought my giant pumpkins to the house today, with the tractor.

He's pretty annoyed here because I made him sit there

Douglas loves squash

We just finished cabbage rolls for dinner and it's time to get settled in for the night, starting with a hot cup of tea. I'll leave you with a picture I took of the moon on the way home from the barn this evening.



We are joining up with the homestead barnhop this week, although a little late!

Comments

Chai Chai said…
What a picturesque lane, great picture.
Dreaming said…
Well, that's one recipe that has been copied into my documents! Yum! I love sweet potato (or pumpkin) anything!
The pictures with the reflections of the leaves are beautiful.
Sounds like you had a nice Thanksgiving.
The JR said…
Flan is my favorite dessert.

Beautiful pictures.
The leaves look beautiful! We had a rainstorm last night that wiped a lot of ours out! Happy Thanksgiving, your flan looks just lovely!

Popular Posts