We had a security breach this morning. When I got up and went out with the dogs, I noticed that the two wild turkey toms were in my barnyard, and Max was sleeping. I guess he figured they were just more turkeys to watch. It's amazing that the turkeys are not afraid of Max, I guess they see him out with my turkeys and figure he must be OK. These same boys have fought Gobbles (my tom) for Maggies (my hens) affections before in the spring. Gobbles and Maggie were still in their house while the wild toms were in the yard.

Photobucket

This afternoon we split up some wood and filled the woodbox. The rounds were way to heavy to lift, so Kevin just tilted the woodsplitter and then we rolled them over. It was overcast today but this morning when I took the dogs outside the sun was bright and oh so warm. I cannot wait to sleep at night with the bedroom door open and listen to the bullfrogs singing in the pond and feel that warm air coming in.

Photobucket

We went out to pull a tree home just before dark but the chainsaw had other plans and decided it wasn't going to work. So Kevin will have to fix it and we'll go back out again when we can. We had a nice time out in the bush though, even though I was freezing. If anyone knows of womens winter work boots that actually do keep your feet warm all day long in the bush, please let me know. My boots are rated like -35, or better even, but my feet are always freezing.

Photobucket

It sure was pretty out though. On our trails where Kevin plowed a few weeks ago, the snow is completely gone.

Photobucket

There isn't that much snow left but there is a lot of ice. I'm really getting tired of slipping around and it's a pain trying to drive the mule up and down hills. The critters are pretty sick of it too, but hopefully soon it will go away along with the snow. Hey, one can hope! I broke through the ice while we were out in the bush and it was just layers and layers of ice. I pulled this out of the hole, how neat is this?

Photobucket

I've really done it to myself now. We have 4 Saanen kids coming this week to be bottle fed, and a Jersey heifer calf. The end of the month I will have more Saanen kids to bottle raise, at least one, possibly more, and then whatever kids my girls give me in March. Also my two ewes are due early March.

The Jersey heifer calf is a week old. She was born with three toes on each front foot. Polydactyly happens in all kinds of animals, including humans. It's not a very common thing, but it has been seen in cows before. My ferrier will be here Friday so he'll look at her, and also our Vet. We just have to watch as she grows that she is able to walk well on her feet. She is so adorable. We pick her up on Thursday along with dozens of bottles and loads of milk replacer! Goodbye sleep.

Photobucket


This will be my first calf to raise. I'm really excited, considering she is a Jersey and they are known for their good dispositions. It will be interesting for sure, raising a calf, and raising one with extra toes. It will be a learning experience for us, and we'll do our best to give her a very good, loving home. I can't wait to give her a great big kiss - look at those pretty big eyes!

Popular Posts