Moose stew and baby goats

I was lying in bed this morning quietly listening, waiting to hear a sound from the livingroom. Then I heard the usual, the dogs, Kiwi saying "hello." Then quiet again..... then very faintly I heard "maaaaaa" so I held my breath. And then again "maaaa."

The second little kid with the scours - was awake and wanted milk. His scours cleared up last night and before bed he took some milk but he fused a lot, which worried me. But this morning, he didn't fuss at all, he drank all his milk, wagged his little tail, shook himself off and was ready to begin the day. What a huge relief. He's sleeping by the woodstove now contently and I am content knowing he's got a full tummy.
I moved the birds over in front of the window this morning since it's a bright day outside. Kiwi (the Kakarikis) was talking up a storm, more than usual. We thought he was talking to us, but then we realized he was looking out the window talking to a squirrel on the porch!

I was asleep last night pretty much as soon as my head hit the pillow. I read an article in Countryside magazine on achieving food independence, and then, that was it. I think both of us slept really well. So we feel better today.

I made this quick and easy breakfast casserole this morning for brunch. You just take some bread, and put it at the bottom of a greased pan. Then top it with some crumbled bacon or sasuage. Sprinkle on some shredded cheddar cheese (or whatever cheese you'd like!) and then mix 6 eggs with 2 cups of milk, and a tsp of dry mustard (really important) pour that over that over everything and bake at 350 degrees F for 35 minutes and voila....

I think it went over well, Kevin had seconds.

There is moose stew in the crockpot and bread rising for dinner tonight. It's very cold out today, zero F but the wind chill makes it a lot colder. I'm looking forward to a quiet evening, and a good hearty meal.

Hopefully this afternoon I'll be able to catch up on some cleaning and laundry. All the inside critters need cleaning and the Prairie dog blankets need washing. I'm going to have to wash the little goat kid too since he's got a messy behind from yesterday. Here are some pictures from last night.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Popular Posts