Izzie's first time in the barnyard

Tonight, is the opening ceremonies of the winter Olympics in Vancouver. We are both really looking forward to it.

The little Saanen kid I've been having trouble with went to the Vet yesterday. He has no temperature and his lungs sound good. But he's got discharge from his nose, eyes, and ears. He's on penicillin, and the Vet really had no other advice to offer. She said he might be full of infection and might not make it. However with no temperature I'm confused. It seems like he's got a really bad head cold. But today he is more active than he has been in a week, actually jumping and wanting to play, actually asking me for food, instead of me asking him if he wants some. His ears are also up for the first time since we got him and his eyes are clearer. So I'm hopeful he'll come through.

I made marshmallows today for the first time. So easy. And I hardly made a mess. As far as kitchen messes go, this was minor. And not all that gooey. I got good advice from a website to touch as little as possible with your hands. Very good advice indeed! And talk about yummy. They are much more dense than the kind you'd buy in the store. However I think for roasting and smores homemade is the way to go. I used to big of a pan so didn't get nice big marshmallows. But I'll try again in the near future and share the recipe. In the spring I look forward to making some and having a campfire and roasting them.

Izzie went outside for the first time the other day and had a ball, she was running around even on the ice and didn't fall! Lambie was nice to her, as he is with everyone, but the other sheep ran for the hills. They are scaredy cats. Izz thought it was hilarious they all ran from her so she had fun chasing them around. The goats were really curious but only got to meet her through the fence. It was wonderful seeing her eyes bright and the excitement in them. She had so much fun. She's a lucky calf being able to run and play and have some freedom. The only other time she was outside, she was tied to her calf hut and could just walk around inside it and right outside the door. She ran and jumped, and was so thrilled with herself.

Photobucket

The goats say "who is this?"

Photobucket
Lambie who is blind, sniffing since he knows someone new is there

Photobucket
Braveheart (AKA Lambie) and Izzie

Photobucket

Running!

Photobucket
Wrambler and the goats looking, Wrambler had never seen Izzie before

Photobucket
Starting to munch on hay!

Bucket is as big as house. I'm so stressed. We are only a couple weeks away so she's soon going to loose her freedom and be watched like a hawk. Biscuit has put on quite a bit of weight so I'm not sure what to think. She might just be heavy. She showed signs of going into heat when Buckwheat was in with them, so I figured she was pregnant... I'm not sure now, so I'll just take precautions in case she is. The weather forecast says it is going to steadily get warmer, and it looks like if the weather forecast is true, the sap will be running very soon.

Photobucket

Off to get ready for the show!

Popular Posts